• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in a May 29 Medill Reports article on high-speed rail's boost to economic development in small cities that would be connected to hub cities.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in a May 27 Chicago Sun-Times article on the benefits of a controversial widening of Willow Road in the northern suburbs.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in a May 7 Chicago Tribune article on the success of Alex Clifford as CEO of Metra; Clifford faces a performance review by a politically appointed board of directors who did not hire him.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted on the CTA's $14.25 million minimum settlement regarding alleged bus defects in an April 8 Chicago Sun-Times article.
• The Urban Transportation Center hosted a sold-out seminar event featuring Michael Melaniphy, President and CEO of the American Public Transportation Association, on Thursday, Jan. 31. Melaniphy's presentation was on "The State of the Public Transportation Industry and Livability." The event was sponsored by URS Corporation, and a video of the presentation can be viewed online here.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in a Jan. 29 Chicago Sun-Times article on Sen. Dick Durbin’s recommendation that the federal government be repaid for federal funds used to rebuild Midway Airport before any privatization of the airport. Schlickman says the recommendation is not an attempt to stop privatization
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted by the Daily Herald in a Dec. 31 article on expectations for transportation
funding, the Circle Interchange, and bus rapid transit in 2013.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in a Dec. 23 article by the Chicago Sun-Times on the rationale behind increasing transit fares and Chicago Skyway tolls, balancing revenue needs with ridership decreases.
• Jordan Snow, research transportation planner/analyst at the Urban Transportation Center, is quoted in a Nov. 9 WBEZ article on the Chicago Transit Authority's new bus rapid transit from downtown through the South Side.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in a Sept. 27 Chicago Tribune article on the RTA’s proposal for a $2.5 billion bond program to repair or replace its vehicles, tracks, equipment and bridges. Schlickman, former director of the RTA, cautions that sales tax revenue might not increase enough to cover the debt service.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted by the Chicago Sun-Times in a Sept. 21 article on the possibility of private financing of the CTA Red Linen extension to 130th Street.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman gave a keynote speech on the concepts of sustainability and livability in transportation on Sept. 17 at a Community Leaders Luncheon in Moline, IL. The luncheon honored MetroLINK, which was recently recognized by the American Public Transportation System as the Best Small Transit System in America. Schlickman also spoke on how MetroLINK is a leading transit system in applying the concepts of sustainability and livability to its facilities, transit operations, and promoting economic development.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman participated in a June 8 luncheon with Simon Kennedy, who was the Canadian Prime Minister's representative on the binational Canada-U.S. Beyond the Border Working Group. The luncheon was held at the Mid-America Club, and focused on the Action Plan for Perimeter Security and Economic Competitiveness, produced by the Beyond the Border Working Group. The lunchon discussion detailed the fascinating agreement between Canada and the United States, which together form one of the largest trading partnerships in the world. The Action Plan can be read here.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in a June 5 article by Progress Illinois on the need for additional federal and local financing before a CTA Red Line expansion can take place.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in a June 4 article by the Daily Herald on disagreements between the leaders of the Regional Transit Authority, Chicago Transit Authority, Metra and Pace.
• Bill Millar, retired president of the American Public Transportation Association, presented a lecture on May 31 on the progress of transit during his 40-year career in the industry. Millar also spoke on the transportation industry's future. The event was held at the Great Cities Institute at UIC, and was part of the ongoing UTC Seminar Series. See the video.
• The Spring 2012 edition of the UTC's newsletter, The Connector, is now available.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in a May 12 article in the Chicago Tribune on the rationality of Metra's plan make service and security adjustments during the NATO meeting.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in an April 28 article in Crain's Chicago Business on Rahm Emanuel's handling of transportation issues in his first year as Mayor of Chicago.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in an April 3 Progress Illinois article on the unlikeliness of the proposed CTA Red Line expansion receiving funding from private investors. He is also quoted in a March 30 Chicago Tribune article on a recent performance assessment of CTA and Metra in comparison to transit systems in other U.S. cities.
• Highlights from the conference Rebuilding the North American Economy Together an event sponsored by CN and supported by Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, are now available.
• UTC Research Assistant Rebecca Geissler presented on feminist transportation planning at a brown bag lunch held Tuesday, February 28, at the transportation center. The event was part of the ongoing UTC Diversity Lunch Series.
• Research Associate Professor Paul Metaxatos is quoted in a February 24 article in the Northwest Indiana Times on the prospect of a single fare card to be used on the CTA, Metra and Pace.
• Siim Soot, associate professor emeritus in the Urban Transportation Center, was featured on ABC 7 News and quoted in a corresponding news article on Febuary 22. Soot spoke on the frequency of traffic accidents caused by wrong-way driving by impaired drivers.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in February 14 articles in both Medill Reports and the Northwest Indiana Times on the CTA's hiring of Goldman Sachs to explore a public-private partnership option to fund Red Line projects.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in a January 26 article in Medill Reports on the danger of participants in the monthly Critical Mass bike rides refusing to obey traffic laws.
• Urban Transportation Center staff attended the Transportation Research Board 91st Annual Meeting, held January 22-26, in Washington, DC. The theme of the event was "Transportation: Putting Innovation and People to Work." A number of UTC staff and affiliates presented at the event, which featured over 600 sessions and workshops across all transportation modes, and drew more than 11,000 transportation professionals from around the globe.
• A January 17 article in Crain’s Chicago Business reports on the Urban Transportation Center winning up to $1 million per year for two years as part of two newly designated federal University Transportation Centers.
• Executive Director Steve Schlickman is quoted in a January 12 article in Medill Reports on the CTA's new text messaging system to track trains on a conventional cell phone, a counterpart to its Train Tracker app for smart phones.
• The December 2011 edition of the UTC's newsletter, The Connector, is now available.